Eating Tips

Lorraine’s Healthy Eating Tips

Below are a few of my healthy eating tips that I try to follow:

1. 80/20 Rule – I always eat well 80% of the time and the other 20% I “relax”. So, when I’m invited to dinner and served a meal that is not quite “nutrient-dense”, I accept it with gratitude. Unless you are allergic to something, your body can handle “junky” food every once in a while. So don’t stress at birthday parties, holidays and the occasional “treat”.

2. Eat like your Great-Great-Grandparents. If you know your ancestral background, try to look into the foods they ate and how they prepared them. I know my Great-Great Grand Mother did not eat low-fat dairy, boxed cereal, or any fast food!

3. Try to get as much of your food from local farmers or growing it yourself. Get to know your farmer and you will see how the animals are raised, what they eat and how they are treated. There is nothing like grass-fed beef, free-range eggs, raw dairy and a fully ripened vegetable or fruit.

4. Shop around the edges of the grocery stores. The outskirts of most grocery stores are where you find the butcher, dairy and vegetables and fruits. The middle isles are where most of the processed foods are located. Check out food shopping guides for sources of healthy food.

5. If you can’t pronounce the ingredient, don’t eat it! I learned this from a wise old lady and it’s been one of my favorite eating tips to pass along.

6. Throw out your microwaves.

7. Try to use only cast Iron, Titanium or glass cookware. Check out some of my favorite cookware.

8. Limit your BBQing to special occasions.

9. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satiated. Slow down,  eat slowly and try to eat with good company.

10. Don’t be afraid of good traditional animal fats and natural cholesterol. Read Myths and Truths About Cholesterol

Lorraine